Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fences



So I spent the morning working in the yard. I was busy digging and transplanting some very neglected flowers to a place where they will hopefully have a better chance of survival. My family likes to refer to me as the Dr. Kevorkian of plants. I think that is rather harsh given that I'm still "green," but when you come from a long line of gardeners and Master gardeners, you really don't have a chance. I do enjoy digging in the dirt and watching my potted containers begin to overflow with life and color, but it is one more thing to maintain, and in my case, try to keep alive.

As if my black thumb were not enough, now I have the massive feet of my miniature horse (Barnabas) to contend with. Our other dogs, Bebo and Annie, are both small terriers who love to dig in my raised flower beds hunting chipmunks. They had already done a significant amount of damage before Barnabas came on board. Now there's one whole section that has just been beaten to the ground and trampled. Even the weeds have given up trying to grow there! Well, I realized that I could move the wire to our invisible dog fence just enough to keep Bebo and Barnabas out of my favorite shade bed. Then I might actually be able to concentrate on one area of the yard and protect it all at the same time. It's a win/win situation! So I spent the morning transplanting all that I could into this one raised flower bed and then carefully re-burying the invisible fence to protect it from monster feet and jabber jaws. Sometimes we have to put up fences to protect things that are fragile or especially important to us.

On a completely different note, I remember going to see my OB when I was pregnant with my third child and lamenting over all the aches and pains I was experiencing. I told him that I felt like this baby was literally going to fall out at any time! I'll never forget what he told me. He graciously explained to me that "my pelvic floor had been compromised, and that it would never be the same again." And I thought "Well ... damn. That was both insulting and disgusting all at the same time!" But I got what he said. Even though my body had completely healed from the two previous childbirths, it had been permanently altered and would not be as strong as it once was. I was susceptible to more aches and pains and discomfort than before.

I think that there are areas of our lives that are much the same way. There are areas where we have struggled and fallen or been tempted and momentarily defeated, that have left weak pockets within the fabric of our being. Whether it be a recurring struggle with a particular sin or deep scars from one traumatic experience, we are now vulnerable where we once were not. We may have healed completely, in the sense that there are no longer any gaping wounds or bloody show, but there is almost always scar tissue or compromised muscles. And it serves us well to be mindful of those weaknesses. It is to our benefit to know where they are and what triggers them. In knowing them, we may learn how to protect them. And it may be wise to put up some fences around those places.

Fences can be anything constructive that help us avoid or protect us from dangerous situations. Just like I don't want my anemic flowers to be trampled by Barnabas' feet, I also don't want my vulnerable soul to get trampled by things that I know will hurt it. By moving the invisible dog fence I was able to protect my plants. I also have fences in place in my life to protect me from temptations I am susceptible to. And there is no shame in that. There is no shame in knowing where you are prone to fall and being preventative in caring for your soul. Just like my OB explained to me that my "innards" would never be the same, he was also telling me that if I continue to do certain exercises and activities, that I am going to hurt. And I probably will pee on myself the rest of my life when I go running ... but that's another issue that will probably never get better : )

Just some thoughts on being spiritually proactive ...

4 comments:

  1. A great post Rachel. I count as part of maturing knowing your weaknesses and setting your life up to take those weakness into account. I hate gossip, but I can get drug into a gossipy conversations if someone starts one. The answer? Limit the time I spend with gossipy sorts. Know my weakness and take steps to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful and true story. Beautifully written. I share your sentiments with different issues,of course, since I have no children. But I can relate to my innards falling out for other reasons...God is merciful in so many ways. And it is neccessary for fences to protect what He has given us the power over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wisdom. And I'll still run with you even if you pee all over yourself the entire time. If it makes you feel any better, I pee sometimes when I run too and you know my "inards" have not been through that same battle as yours...just thought my confession might make you feel better, or at least let you know that we can still run together and wet ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have really sensitive teeth b/c my roots are exposed where the gum has receeded. this might sound gross or weird, but it's what i think about when i get hurt (usually by words) ... there are certain topics that are like nerves to me and when somebody says something on that topic (i.e. "why are you still single?!" ... all accusatorily (sp?) - as if i have made a conscious decision to be single! although, i'm starting to think i sort of have in a way! but, not in the way they mean!), it HURTS. someone has just struck a nerve that is uncovered. ow! ... defenses up! guards at the ready! rifles pointed and ready to fire! ... that's what it feels like ... i'm working on defusing the bomb before i detonate it. ha! that's hard!

    ReplyDelete